Monday, September 17, 2012

WRITE To the Heart of the Matter: Have You Read Any Good First Sentences Lately?

Wired for Story
The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence
by Lisa Cron

Anyone who has heard me speak about writing know my passion for first sentences.  First sentence do not a book, chapter or paragraph make, but it can be the deal breaker if it puts the reader to sleep.

Imagine my delight when I saw the title for this new book by Lisa Cron.  Like any good reader, I flipped to the back cover, skipped the endorsements, and checked out the book details. Not only was there going to be action on first sentences, there was also a promise to "ignite the brain's hardwired desire to learn what happens next."

I turned to the first page and read:

"In the second it takes you to read this first sentence, your senses are showering you with over 11,000,000 pieces of information. Your conscious mind is capable of registering about forty of them."
I fell in love with the first sentence and the layout of the page spread.  The left page showed THE COGNITIVE SECRET..."We think in story, which allows us to envision the future," and THE STORY SECRET..."From the very first sentence, the reader must want to know what happens next."

Above the chapter heading was the Flannery O'Connor quote: "I find that most people know what a story is until they sit down to write one."

Every chapter follows the same format. Cron writes what every writer needs to know and shares in a way every writer wants to write. I knew I was in the right place and reading the right book

Looks like my Christmas gift list for my writer just grew a little bit longer.

To find out more about Cron, visit wiredforstory.com.





No comments:

Post a Comment